18 November 2007

Radioaficionados - Ham Radio in Panama

Paradise for Ham Radio Operators - Now licensed as HP3AK
This area of western Panama is truly paradise for radioaficionados (ham radio operators). I operated my ham station as HP3/K1YJ during visits in the first 1/2 of 2007 and made hundreds of great contacts all over the world. I am now a permanent resident of paradise in Volcan, Panama.

Operating with just 100 watts and dipole antennas at 20 feet above the ground, I was able to easily work the U.S., Europe, South America, and Australia / New Zealand on SSB on 75 meters, 40 meters, and 20 meters. On 2 occasions I was operating from the base of a mountain with the entire mountain between me and the U.S. & Europe ... and still made contacts easily.

(Update 16 Jan. 08) I just received my Panama license, HP3AK. I am in a rented house while I build on one of my beautiful, view lots just outside of Volcan. When I get moved to the ranch next year I will have a dipole (or 1/4 wave vertical) on 160, 4-square on 75 meters, inverted V on 40, and beam on 20, 15, 10, & 6 meters. While in the rented house, I have a (low) trap dipole for 160/75, dipole on 40, and low beams for 20,15, 10 & 6 meters
running 100/500/1500 watts.

Operation on VHF and UHF will probably wait until I learn sufficient Spanish. I do plan to establish a couple of UHF repeaters (430 & 1280 MHz) at the ranch in the future. The ranch has a clear view all the way to the Pacific, covering the David and Concepcion areas.

I am once again DX from HP3 land, on SSB, on several bands.

73 & good DX,
Jay, HP3AK

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,Erwin is my name,did radio amateur course for a while in Belgium but did not ended it then.Is it possible to obtain a licence easy here in Panama,we live here in Bocas del Toro,and like to buy me a system.
Tx

Jay D. Mills said...

If you want to send me your e-mail address I may be able to answer a few questions. However, the short answer is that you would have to apply for a radioaficionado license here and pass their test is Spanish. You can find some out-of-date information (ministry has moved twice since the info was updated) at:
http://www.qsl.net/hp1rcp/
Regards, Jay
hp3ak [usual e-mail symbol] jaymills.org

Unknown said...

Jay, stumbled upon your wonderful page. I spent a good part of my youth in Panama and we vacationed in Volcan. Beautiful place. Please keep writing and I'll keep reading about "home".

Cheers,
AF6UV
Terry

Unknown said...

Jay,
I stumbled upon your blog while researching Amateur Radio in Panama. I spent a good part of my youth in Panama and we vacationed in Volcan. Beautiful place. Great to hear of all of your adventures. Please keep writing and I'll keep reading of "home".

Cheers,
AF6UV
Terry